Aldershot boasted a number of churches of all denominations over the years. Many of them are now used for other purposes.
The Aldershot Baptist Church (Baptist Tabernacle) lies at the corner of Upper Elms Road and Vine Street. Construction started in 1883 and completed by 1886. The foundation stone was laid by C. H. Spurgeon.
Aldershot Presbyterian Church:
The Ascension Church at the junction of Ayling Hill and Church Lane West was built around 1939 and consecrated on 23rd April 1945 by the Bishop of Guildford. The building is of red brick construction. Above the west door the church bell hangs on the outside wall.
St. Augustines church in Holly Road was built in 1907 designed by Thomas Jackson RA. More on the history of this church can be found here
St. Michael the Archangel is the oldest church in the town and is located at the top of Church Hill and the junction of Church Lane East. Dating from the Saxon period, the oldest part is the tower built in the 12th Century. It was originally built as a "Chapel of Ease" at the time when the nearest church was in Crondall. It was enlarged in 1865 and this enlargement uncovered some wall paintings (subsequently destroyed) thought to date from the 13th century. The enlargement also destroyed the original Saxon stone font. A feature of the church is the bricked over graves in the churchyard. Gracie Fields (1898-1979) was married here.
The Holy Trinity church lies between Albert Road and Victoria Road and was built about 1878. An imposing edifice which to a great extent is lost in its surroundings. Constructed in a Gothic style of architecture in brick and barget stone facings. The vestry was added in 1890. The iron gates leading from Victoria Road were erected in 1949 in memory of Frederick Ernest Jerome and his wife Ellen. Click here to view | or visit their website by clicking here
Wesleyan Church (Methodist) is at the top of Victoria Road and at the crossroads of Grosvenor Road and Queens Road. Now converted into offices. Built at a cost of £10000 in 1874 with a fine 100ft tower which can be seen for many miles and is a local landmark. The clock was erected by the family and friends of of the Rev. Edward Pearce LOWRY, Honorary Chaplain to the Forces of Aldershot Command 1892 -1919 in his memory. The church had seating for 1250. The main feature of the interior was the nave supported by columns of cast iron and caps of Bath stone. Behind the altar below three stained glass windows is a reredos in mosaic and tiles (I wonder if it still exists) bearing the Ten Commandments and the Lord's Prayer. It is a memorial to Frances Penelope Wharton MIDDLETON daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Lewis WATSON who served as a Major in the 69th Regiment at Waterloo . This is commemorated on a brass plaque dated 29th Jan 1882 at the base of the reredos by her husband Richard Wharton MIDDLETON of Leasingham Hall, Lincoln.
The Rotunda Church located on the corner of Albert Road and Victoria Road. Unique in its construction and in the number of commemorative plaques surrounding its walls. Built around 1874 - 76. Not sure whether the building has now been demolished. I remember the church appearing to be disused back in the 1960s. There is a small trading estate on the area surrounding the church site. Adjoining the church was once the Christ Church Hall which also had four foundation stones laid on 5th Dec 1874, one by William TERRY, one by Mary ALLDEN, a third by the scholars of the Methodist Sabbath School. The fourth stone is defaced and the inscription now illegible. Sadly the building has now been demolished.
St. Joseph's Catholic church at the junction of Queens Road and Edward Street. Built in 1912 and replacing an iron building which had stood on the site for many years. This building was removed to Belle Vue Road when the current church was built and is now known as St. Mary's Roman Catholic church
St. Mary's Church Belle Vue Road, originally St. Joseph's church at the junction of Queens Road and Edward Street it was removed to its present position in 1912. However it was originally brought to Aldershot from Southampton and was moved to it's present site to provide a place of worship for the Catholic population of North Town. The building was demolished in 1974 and replaced with a new brick structure.